Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Same Kind of Different as Me

Same Kind of Different as Me - Ron Hall, Denver Moore Book Club Discussion Book.
I would never have chosen this book to read but it was our Jan Book Club read and that is how this book ended up on my list.

I didn't enjoy the book however our group had a terrific discussion that lasted for 1.5 hours and I was quite surprised what a great discussion we got from this one. This book has rated very high on GoodReads and many readers have found it inspiring.

Based on a true story.
Denver is a man who was raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana in the 1960s; eventually escaped by hopping a train to wander, homeless, for eighteen years on the streets of Dallas, Texas.
Ron, an international arts dealer married to Debbie housewife and a woman with extraordinary faith and a want to help those less fortunate than herself. When Ron and Debbie volunteer at a homeless they befriend Denver and all their life's are changed forever

This is a very spiritual book and is full of spiritual phases so much so that I found it quite preachy and a little off putting . I liked Denver's story although I didn't feel I got to know him as much as I wanted to and felt that the book left out quite large and important parts of his life and seemed to just give the reader what was necessary.
I didn't connect with Ron at all and just couldn't relate to him and his story. His wife Debbie did seem like an amazing charismatic and angel like person and I am not sure this book did her justice. I thought the story was poorly written and seemed to drag quite a bit in places.
I did read that the book has raised a vast amount of money for charity so that is a wonderful achievement and great to see so many homeless people benefit from the proceeds of this book.
While only 2 off our group of 11 enjoyed the read everybody agreed that it was a wonderful discussion book.