Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Red Love: The Story of an East German Family

Red Love: The Story of an East German Family - Maxim Leo, Shaun Whiteside 3.5 stars

An engaging and well written personal account that gives outsiders a glimpse of everyday life In East Berlin before the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989

image: image
Having recently returned from a trip to Berlin I was eager to read a personal account of life in East Berlin before the wall came down and I chose to read Red Love: The Sroy of and East German family by Maxim Leo and was not disappointed by my choice as it was a rewarding read and touched upon so many names of places and stories I had seen and heard during my trip.

While I had seen images of the Berlin Wall in books and on television I was completely taken aback when I actually saw what remains of it as it was so unlike the image I had in my head.
The book was a terrific insight into life behind the wall and the hopes and dreams of one German family. The story traces this family's history from the WWI through the Second World War and up to the fall of the Berlin Wall and what an interesting history it is. The book is insightful and held my attention throughout. I did find myself getting confused at times with the different family members but not so much so that it would interfere with the understanding of the book.
image: image