Dem

Dem

The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

Days Without End

Days Without End - Sebastian Barry 3.5 stars
2016 Costa Book of the Year winner
     Barry's prose as always is beautiful and vivid and he captures the most fateful years in America's past.
Days Without End is a coming of age story about friendship, survival love and the tragedies of war.

This is my fifth novel by Sebastian Barry and Days Without End has a connection with other novels by this author and the McNulty Family, this time we are introduced to Thomas an ancestor who is orphaned during the Irish Famine and at the age of 17 makes his ways to North America where he signs up for the US Army in the 1850s and befriends John Cole and they go on to fight in the Indian Wars and Ultimately the Civil War. While there is a small connection with other novels which feature the McNulty family this a very much stand alone novel as there is very little reference to Thomas McNulty's Irish past.

I always enjoy Barry's prose and stories as he manages to convey a wonderful sense of time and place in all of his novels. The massacres of the Indian nations I found difficult reading and so horrific but very realistic and well written. I wasn't so convinced by other elements of the story and found quite a lot of it improbable situations occurred in the plot.
I would have loved to have read this a as a book club read as it is a short novel and would make a great discussion book.

I enjoyed the book but [bookcover:A Long Long Way|780932] and [bookcover:The Secret Scripture|3419808] will stil remain my favorites by this author.