Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Nutshell

Nutshell - Ian McEwan A unique read but a tad too gimmicky for me.

Nut Shell by Ian McEwan is a story told from the perspective of a foetus. It's a tale of murder and deceit and is clever is its concept and prose.

Trudy has betrayed her husband John. She lives in the marital home which is a priceless London townhouse. She and her lover have a plan and its from the point of view of her 9 month old foetus that we lean what exactly is at foot.

I loved the opening line of the Novel " So Here I Am, upside down in a woman. Arms patiently crossed, waiting , waiting and wondering who I'm in, What I'm in for."

This is my 5th book by McEwan and while I was excited to receive my copy in the post, I had difficulty connecting with this story. I didn't feel I got to know the characters and I was disappointed by the novel's conclusion. Having said that McEwan has some great lines in this book. His prose is impeccable and at 198 pages this reads like a short story but it just was a tad too gimmicky for my liking.

My favourite novels by this author are [b:On Chesil Beach|815309|On Chesil Beach|Ian McEwan|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1436962381s/815309.jpg|1698999] and [b:The Children Act|21965107|The Children Act|Ian McEwan|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1405290619s/21965107.jpg|40842571]