Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The One Man

The One Man - Andrew Gross 4.5 Stars >

A fast, compelling, and compulsively readable historical thriller. This is one that had me reading into the early hours of the morning and I hated parting with these extremely well formed and mostly likable characters.

Set in 1944 Alfred Mendle is held in Auschwitz prison camp., Alfred is a brilliant professor who's knowledge is required to in the race to make the first atomic bomb. While scientists all over the world are working on different formulas and equations, there are only two men with the necessary knowledge to complete one of the most crucial steps in developing the bomb and one of them is working for the Germans and the other is Alfred Mendle.
The story follows Nathan Bloom who is requested by the American Government to rescue Alfred from the camps. Nathan has already escaped from the Germans and Poland and left his family to the mercy of the Germans but feels this is a mission he needs to take in order to revenge the Germans.

The One Man is predominately a thriller. It’s certainly (in my opinion) not going to enhance your knowledge of the World War 2 if that is what you are looking for, but if like me you want a unique fast paced suspenseful read then I can highly recommend this one as it is one of the best thrillers I have read this year.

I listened to this one on audible and the narrator and the pacing was excellent.

This is certainly one for my recommended and favourites shelf.