Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Leavetaking

The Leavetaking - John McGahern

The Leavetaking by John McGahern was written as a love story, its two parts deliberately different in style and while I enjoyed the first part of the story the second part just didn't work for me and I felt it was out of sync with the usual style of McGahern Novels.

The book tells the story of a day in the life of a young Catholic schoolteacher Patrick Moran who has returned to Ireland after a year sabbatical in London. While the story is slow and little happens in the first half of the novel, the author's descriptions and prose keeps the reader interested and turning the pages for more.

The story is quite reflective of parts of McGahern own life experiences as a child and this was the part that I enjoyed and felt he conveyed best in the novel. The mother and son relationship was extremely well written. The second part of the novel is mostly spent in London and I felt the story became unrealistic and the characters actions unconvincing and I was left disappointed on finishing the novel.

I have enjoyed[b:Amongst Women|304209|Amongst Women|John McGahern|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1307312497s/304209.jpg|295238] and [b:That They May Face The Rising Sun|79930|That They May Face The Rising Sun|John McGahern|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1408925153s/79930.jpg|1252866] by this author.

I