Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

A Place Called Winter

A Place Called Winter - Patrick Gale A mesmerising story based on the author's great-grandfather Harry Cane who was one of many that made the harrowing Journey from pre-war England to take up the opportunity to farm in Canada but Harry's story is different and unique with a mixture of adventure, love and heartbreak.

Harry Cane has followed tradition at every step until an illicit affair forces him to abandon the golden surburbs of Edwardian England to travel to the town of Winter in the newly colonised Canadian prairies

Beautifully written, bold and moving with well developed memorable characters.

I was happy to have come across a hard copy of this book while browsing in a bookshop recently as it was recommended by one of my Goodread's friends. The story was a slow burner to start with but it hald my interest throughout and I ended up really enjoying the book, so much so that I am still thinking about the characters after finishing the novel. I loved the sense of time and place in the novel and the fact that the historical content enhanced the story. The writing is excellent and its one of those books where not a word is wasted.

The hard copy has a chapter on the Inspiration for The Novel and a Question and Answer session with Patrick Gale which I found really interesting.

I think this would be a great book club read as it is different and would make for a great discussion.