Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Good People

The Good People - Hannah Kent
The Good People by Hannah Kent is an impeccably researched story set in Ireland in 1825 and readers interested in pagan traditions and herbal medicine of the time may well enjoy reading this second novel by Hannah Kent. I was however disappointed with character development and the plot of this story
The novel is set in County Kerry in 1825 in a remote valley lying between the mountains of south-west Ireland,near the Flesk river of Killarney, three women are brought together by strange and troubling events. While the novel is a work of fiction, it does take its inspirations from a true event of infanticide.
Image: image

I was so excited to get my hands on a copy of this novel having loved Burial Rites and while I was not disappointed by the writing or the athmosphere that Kent is renowned for in Burial Rites I was a little disappointed with the plot and felt that the book dragged and for me this was down to too much attention to detail and research and little to character development and plot.

A wonderful sense of time and place however is very evident in the book and anyone who is interested in the folklore and lotions and potions of the time or fairies and their curses are going to be well impressed with this book. The prose is poetic and her attention to period detail impressive.
I did find the story dragged and became quite repetitive and none of the characters were particularly memorable for me and while I liked the book it didn't meet my expectations.

I did rate the book three stars and for me this is a book I liked and well worth the read but not one for my favourite list.
I recommend The Good People to readers who have an interest in Irish Fairy lore or Irish rural life in the pre-famine days of the nineteenth century.