Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

My Cousin Rachel

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Maurier 3.5 Stars

Having loved Rebecca I wanted to read another novel by Daphne Du Maurier and My Cousin Rachel was next on my list and delighted to say that it doesn't disappoint and has a certain , je ne sais quoi about it that had me intrigued.

Written in 1951 this novel is a mystey-romance style novel that is as compelling today as it was back 65 years ago.

Anbrose and Philip run a country estate on the Cornish coast and live a harmonious bachelor lifestyle in an all male household. Ambrose develops a few health problems which force him so spend his winters in a warmer climate where he meets and falls in love with "his cousin Rachel" but is Rachel the beautiful delicate angel we are presented with or is there more to Rachel than meets the eye.

There is lots of tension in this Gothic style novel and the mystery surrounding Rachel unravels slowly. The writing is vivid and characters well drawn.
I loved the fact that du Maurier allows the reader to interact in the story to as you have to read this one carefully and on completing a lot is left up to the readers interpretation.

An enjoyable read and I am looking forward to my next novel by Daphne du Maurier.