Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968

Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968 - Heda Kovály, Helen Epstein, Franci Epstein Under a Cruel Star: Life in Prague 1941-1968 by Heda Margolius Kovaly.

This is one Woman's compelling account of strength and courage from the end of World War II and through the communist era in Czechoslovakia.

I have read many many accounts of life during the War and in the Concentration Camps but this particular Memoir picqued my interest when I learned that Heda was born in Prague of Jewish ancestry, survived the concentration camps and the death march to make her wasy back to Prague to learn that she was the only member of her family to survive the war.

The book concentrates mostly on the details of growing communism among many Czechoslovaks after the war and what they had hoped for in a better life turned out to be a nightmare.
I loved this no nonsense story and the author's direct approach. The hardships and trials these people endured after the Nazi's were defeated are just remarkable and how life under communism became a nightmare for so many people.

I have had this book on my shelf for a number of years I remember purchasing it after visiting Prague and only came accorss it when clearing out books. A remarkable and educational read for anyone interested in this time in history.