Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Thirteen Ways of Looking

Thirteen Ways of Looking - Colum McCann
3.5 Stars,

Thirteen ways of Looking by Colum McCann consists of a Novella and 3 short strories. I am not a fan of short stories as they rarely work for me but with the right author short stories can be quite interesting and entertaining.

I enjoyed the Novella which told the story of a retired elderly judge living in New York in today's world of suverlience. The story is well plotted and as usual with all McCann's books the prose is poetic and vivid. While I loved the writing I did find sections where the descriptions and prose got a little too much and it seemed like the author was trying too hard but towards the second half of the Novella the stroy seemed to get back on track and I did love the conclusion.

I listened to an interview that Colum McCann gave recently where he discussed the horrendous attack on him in 2014. He came across as a very interesting man and he has a beautiful hypnotic voice. I wish he would narrate his own Novels as he has such charm.

I didn't enjoy with the second short story as I found it was pretty much over before it begun and I didn't connect with story at all. I did really enjoy the third story called "Sh'kol" about a woman who lives in Galway with her son who has special needs. This story really touched me as the characters were convincing and this short story is extremely well written.

I think this book would make an excellent bookclub read as it covers a lot of topics that would create marvellous discussion for any group of readers.