Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Lake House

The Lake House: A Novel - Kate Morton I loved this book to start with and I hated this book by the end and therefore I found this such a difficult Novel to rate and review.

Firstly the setting for the Lake house is amazing and Kate Morton has a wonderful sense of time and place in her novels. Set in two time frames, 1930s Cornwall and 2003 London the plot slowly unfolds and the author introduces two mysteries that need solving. I was totally drawn in by the descriptive and vivid writing and the wonderful images that that the author created. The characters in this novel are very well developed and likable, I loved the 1930s setting, the period house, set in an enchanted forest, a dysfunctional family with secrets and a mysteries going back 70 years.

I was so taken with this novel that I bought the audio as well as the Kindle edition as well and I have to admit I even took this one to work as I just could not pull myself away.

The Narrator was excellent on the audio version although the story did drag a little in places.

So what was there to hate about this novel, it was too descriptive and way too drawn out. But the biggest disappointment of all was the contrived and fairytale ending. It was so bad I wanted to fling my kindle across the room. It felt like the author got bored and just wanted out. There was also a few incidents in the story where you would have to seriously suspend belief.

I always urge people to judge a book for yourself because we all differ on how we react to a story and I am in the minority on this one.

I did find this an atmospheric read but not as good as her first couple of novels.