Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Daniel James Brown

The Boys In The Boat in an extremely beuatifually written account of the Universary of Washingtons's Rowing team that won a gold Metal in 1936 Berlin Olympics'

I had no real desire to read a book about sport let alone read a book about rowing but something about a frinds's review here on goodreads pushed me to read this book and I am so glad I did as I loved every moment of it.

I read this on Kindle (oh how I wish I owned a Hard Copy of this book) and I listened to it on audio and what wonderful narrator Edward Hermann is. He just made this book come alive and what a wonderful easy listening voice he has.

Yes for those of you out there wondering if there are descriptions of boat building and rowing techniques and stragaties but there is so much more to this stroy. I fell in love with Joe Ranrz and his story and zest for life, I loved the details given of the Berlin Olympics and how Hitler tried to showcase Germany to the rest of the world . I learned so much from this book. I also really enjoyed the sense of time and place set around the depression in America.

Above all I It is an inspirational story of eight young men from different backgrounds who learned to work as a team and overcome tremendous obstacles, defeating elite teams from other universities and finally the German crew in Berlin.

A terrific read and one that I am so glad I did not miss out on (Thank you Diane) :-)