Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra

The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra - Helen Rappaport
Helen Rappaport paints a compelling portrait of Tatiana, Olga, Maria and Anastasia the four daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra in this well written account of the girls and their lives at court.

I have read a great deal of books on the subject of Russia and the Romanov family and wasn't particularly sure what new information I would gain from this book. But I was plesently surprised with the author's approach to the Novel and the research she had done.

Rappaport's skill at showing life within the Romanov family makes a genuinely new and interesting contribution to the Romanov story. I found on reading this book that I gained a better insight into the girls lives and personalities and found that I came away with a better understanding of what life was like for these girls growing up and for the family on a whole.
The one thing that amazed me when reading this book was how unsuitable Nicholas and Alexandra were for the position in society that they found themselves in and I had great admiration for the family life that they tried to lead and how close as a family they really were. The personality of Alexandra is extremely well analysed in this book and I think by doing so we getting a better understanding of events within the family.

For readers interested in the Romanov Family this is a great book, extremely well written and researched. I love the fact that the book contained photos and but I would love if the author had included a map with names of the places mentioned in the book.