Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

A History of Loneliness

A History of Loneliness - John Boyne 2.5 stars

"Father Odran Yates is dedicated to his vocation since entering Clonliffe College seminary at seventeen. He has lived through betrayal, controversy and public condemnation of some of his dearest friends. Through all of this he has remained firm to his beliefs"

A History of Loneliness by John Boyne was a book I had been so looking forward to reading as John Boyne is one of my favourite writers. I was intrigued when I read the blurb of this book and looked forward to how Boyne would tackle this tough time in the Catholic Church and Ireland.
For me the book failed for a number of reasons and firstly the story didn't flow for me I just felt disconnected from the characters and it didn't capture my interest as much as it should have. It took me a considerable length of time to finish the novel and this was because I became bored with the story and felt it was full of cliches. There was many times when reading the book that I grew tired of conversations and situations that seem predictable and over written.

I do appreciate on one level that a book like this highlights the abuse that was hidden within the Catholic Church for many years here in Ireland and the suffering families still live with many years later. I think a novel like this is a good reminder of how religion and power can become obsessive and corrupt.

I felt by the end of the book I hadn't learned anything I didn't know from the media already and the story or the characters didn't have any great impact on me.

An ok read but not one I will be recommending.