Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

We Are Called to Rise

We Are Called to Rise - Laura  McBride
. 4.5 Stars

I had a hard time parting company with the characters in this novel and think they will stay with me a long time.

We are called to rise is a wonderful thought provoking novel with amazing characters and and a great setting.

I have to be honest and say if I had passed this novel in the book shop I would never have picked it up and that is down to the cover of the book. But I would have missed out on a wonderful story if it hadn't been for a few reviews of my Good read friends.
This book is set in Las Vegas and having visited there a few years ago and been amazed at glitz and glamour I did wonder how people lived their day to day lives in this city. I wondered how you reared a family there and while I loved the noise, and the casinos and the shopping I found myself wondering could I live in this fast moving environment for more than a week and the answer was no I like the quiet too much.

The characters in this novel are extremely well written and the voices are real and the images portrayed in the novel really have an impact on you. There is so much I want to say about this novel and I cant as I don't want to spoil the book for other readers . This book made me think about how I would react to the situations in the novel and how I would cope under the circumstances. I found myself thinking about this story even when I wasn't reading it. This would make a wonderful book club read as its a book you just want to talk about.

I did have an issue with the conclusion of the story and really don't think the children's placement with Graciela Reyes could happen and it threw me a tiny bit at the end of this wonderful novel. It didn't however spoil the the story as this is a character driven novel and its the characters that make this story.

A great debut novel and I cant wait for Laura McBrides next book.