Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng Everything I never told you is the debut novel by Celeste Ng and tells a powerful and yet quiet stroy about the Lee family who are coming to terms with losing their teenage daughter.

The story is beautifully told and the prose has an eloquence to it that you only come across once in awhile in novels.
This is not only the story of a Chinese-American family losing a teenage daughter, it is a story of racism, of a family trying to fit into a community and a community that fails to see a family in crises and above all a family who fail to communicate with each other.

I really enjoyed this novel, the characters are beautifully written and the plot is imaginative and well crafted.
I loved how each member of the family tells their story, and in doing so we learn about their loves, their fears and their dreams. There were times in the novel when I just felt such sadness at the situations portrayed and anger at the acts of racism. You feel you want to throw your arms around the Lee family and protect them.
I love when an author can make a reader feel like that and Celeste Ng ticks all the boxes for me.

I think this book will appeal to many readers and would make a good discussion book.