Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers 3.5 stars

The heart is a lonely hunter was one of those books you keep coming across on books lists over the years and it always piqued my interest and yet I never got around to reading it until now.

Written in 1940 by Carson McCullers and set in a small Southern town in America.

A character driven novel that highlights the loneliness of it's main characters and the racial injustices of the time.

I was really surprised to learn that the author was a 23 year old girl at the time she wrote this novel as her writing had a wealth of experience normally seen in someone older.

I really enjoyed the read but on conclusion could easily have started the book from page one again in order to to get a better understanding of the novel and it's characters. The book is really well written and the characters very intriguing if not a little unbelievable in their actions at times and while some characters are very well developed I was disappointed by the lack of development in others.
I was disappointed with the ending of the book as I felt I had more questions than answers.

I think this novel would work really well as a book club read as there is much character discussion in this one. I read this as a buddy read and was delighted to get the opportunity to finally read this much loved novel.