Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Unravelling Oliver

Unravelling Oliver - Liz Nugent 4.5 Stars for this highly entertaining and original debut novel by Liz Nugent.

" Oliver Ryan is a handsome and charismatic success story. He lives a life of enviable privilege and ease with his wife. Alice. Enviable until one evening after dinner, Oliver attacks Alice so viciously that he beats her into a coma"

After reading the blurb of this novel I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book and the first sentence of the book left me a little shell shocked.

I expected more of a reaction the first time I hit her. She just lay on the floor holding her jaw. Staring at me. Silent. She didn't even seen to be surprised.

Firstly let me assure the reader that this author really knows how to tell a story without shocking the reader with graphic scenes of violence or abuse and yet this novel is original and stunning in terms of plot and writing. The title Unravelling Oliver is exactly what the book sets out to do and throughout the journey of the novel we meet some very interesting characters and are given their insights in Oliver as a child and man.

I read this for a book club read and I think it will be a wonderful discussion book as there is so much going on in this story. The characters are superbly drawn, the plot original and the writing is of a high standard.

A short book with only 230 pages but Liz Nugent certainly packs a punch with this debut novel.

A great book-club read and a book to pack for the holidays.

Just to update this was an excellent book club discussion book that generated 1.5 hours of discussion.