Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Red Sky in Morning

Red Sky in Morning - Paul Lynch Red Sky in Morning by Paul Lynch.

Set in 1832 in County Donegal in Ireland, Colly Coyle and his family are facing eviction from their home. Coll who is a poor labourer makes one last attempt to convince his landlord to save his family from eviction but events take a nasty turn and Coll finds himself on the run and in fear of his life.

There is no doubt this is an interesting read and an insightful look at a harsh and dark time in Irish history.
I found the prose a bit over the top at the beginning of the novel and first few chapters a bit tedious.. It took me awhile to get into the story. I liked the characters as they are dark and Paul Lynch certainly knows how to create a sense of time and place in his writing. His descriptions of the Irish landscape are excellent. This is not an uplifting read and in many parts it is quite brutal and not for the feint heated but it is well written.

This is a short novel at 229 pages and while I liked the book I did feel there was elements of the story that were not convincing.

I will certainly check out his next book as this was an interesting read.