Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

How To Be a Good Wife

How To Be a Good Wife - Emma  Chapman How to be a good wife by Emma Chapman was and interesting and unsettling read.

I really enjoy books set in Scandinavia and How to be a good wife tells the story of Marta and Hector who have been married for a long time - so long that she finds it difficult to remember her life before him. He has always taken care of her, and she has always done everything she can to be a good wife. But when Hector comes home with a secret, their ordered domestic life begins to unravel, and Marta begins to see things, or perhaps to remember them. In the shadows there is a blonde girl that only Marta can see. And she wants something .

I listened to this as an audio book and while the narrator was very good I found the book was very tedious listening and couldn't help wondering if I had read this in paperback would I would have given this novel a higher rating.

I enjoyed the characters in this novel as they were extremely well developed and while the plot is unsettling and disturbing in many ways , the author really manages to make the story seem so believable. I felt a real sympathy towards Martha and her family and the situation they found themselves in. I like books that make me think and this is certainly one of those.

The ending was very realistic and overall I liked this book. I did not however like the audible version and as I said previously it was not down to the narrator but more the fact that for me the subject matter was very depressing listening and for me some books just don't work in audio format. However this is just my experience.

I do think this book would make a good book club read and its the sort of book you want to discuss with friends the minute you finish it.