Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

A Walk Across the Sun

A Walk Across the Sun - Corban Addison 2.5 Stars

A walk across the Sun by Corban Addision was a disappointing read on many levels for me. The book has got great reviews and I know that I am in the minority on this one but while the subject is one that is so sad and very real in today's world I have to judge this book on how the story came across in reading it and how it made me feel.

This Novel explores the difficult subject of Child Sex trafficking and tells the story of the two Ghai sisters whose childhood's ends abruptly one day when a Tsunami rips through their Indian Village. Destitute and alone their only hope is to find refuge at a convert several miles away. They hitch a lift and are abducted by human sex traffickers.

The opening couple of chapters of this novel literally drops the reader right into the story with a Tsunami, and an abduction of a child in a park and and I felt I had pages missing from my book as the author failed to build up a sense of time or place and the characters just seemed to appear with little or no introduction and were poorly developed and I never felt I got to know Ahalya or Sita and therefore could not form any attachment to the them as people.
I also felt the writing was cold and lacked emotion and while the novel had a very important message to convey I just wasn't convinced by the storytelling.

I did find the following quote from the book so important and true " Traffickers will STOP wen Men STOP buying Women"

I disliked the Characters of Thomas Clarke and Priya and they just seemed too contrived and I think they took up too much of the story.

As for the ending .................................description

An ok read for me but not a book I will be recommending.