Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Honor

Honor - Elif Shafak
Honor by Elif Shafak is a tragic story of a shocking honor killing that stuns and shatters the lives and hopes of a Turkish emigrant family living in London in the 1970s.

This book opens with a very strong and beautiful dedication from the author which reads as follows;

When I was seven years old We lived in a green house, one of our neighbours a talented tailor would often beat his wife. In the evenings we listened to the shouts, the crys the swearing. In the mornings we went on with our lives as usual. The entire neighbourhood pretended not to have heard. Not to have seen.
This novel is dedicated to those who hear, those who see.

The stroy within the novel is tragic and powerful and certainly does make you ponder on the lives of those women who deal with situaltion like this everyday. The authors writing and account of an emigrant family living and adapting to life in London in 1970 is very well portrayed. I found the writing good and the characters real and vivid.

The narrative does get a little confusing at times as the stroy deals with a lot of characters and goes back and forth between diffferent time spans, countries and characters and at times the story became quite disjounted for me as a result. I was disappointed with the ending of the novel as it just didn't work for me.

Overall an interesting book and in places very powerful stroy telling from Elif Shafak and I would certainly look out for more books by this author.