Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute A Town like Alice by Nevil Shute.

" Nevil Shute's most beloved novel, a tale of love and war, follows its enterprising heroine from the Malayan jungle during World War Two to the rugged Australian outback"

Having read the blurb on this novel I was really looking forward to reading this story as it was described as "Entertaining" and "Dramatic" but unfortunately for me I neither found the book Dramatic or entertaining and really could only be pushed to describing it as a pleasant read that is neither exciting or memorable.

The problem I had with this Novel was it seemed to be a book of two halfs and while the first half was interesting and very readable the second half was bland and not very believable for me. I found the story dragged and I kept waiting for something to happen to lift the story but it just plodded along until the end. It was like two different authors had written this book and the first had a good imagination and the second lacked the skills of the first and figured the reader had enough excitement for one book. Perhaps I am being a little harsh as it is probably a book of its time and I just didn't gel with it.

This is an easy read, the prose is good and while I did not find it riveting or exciting it is very readable and a pleasant story.