Dem

The Good Daughter
Karin Slaughter
A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman
Behind Her Eyes: A Novel
Sarah Pinborough

Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout 2.5 stars

Having never read any of Elizabeth Stout Novels I was delighted to get the chance to read Olive Kitteridge.

Olive Kitteridge is a combination of 13 stories all set in rural Maine. I was a little concerned that each chapter read as a different story with Olive being the connection between the stories. I found for me my concerns proved right as all the stories read like short stories and I am just not a fan of short stories. I found once again I am just getting into the story and connecting with the characters when the story ends and I have to adjust my mind to a new set of characters and a new plot. While I know this works for a lot of readers it just does not work for me.

This is a book that had been on my radar for quite a while and while I was aware that the book did read like short stories I was assured that each story was connected by the strong character of Olive but this connection did not do anything to enhance the flow of the novel for me.

The writing is beautiful and I can see why readers love this book.

I did underline a couple of quotes from the book that I liked.

" You couldn't stop yourself feeling a certain way no matter what the other person did, you just had to wait. Eventually the feeling went away because others came along"