Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Apple Tree Yard

Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty is one of those psychological thrillers that you are compelled to read by just the blurb alone.

This book tells the story of Yvonne Carmichael a woman in her fifties, married with two grown up children and a great career. One day she makes a choice that ends up putting her on trial in the Old Baily for the most serious of crimes.

When I initially picked up this book to read I was totally drawn in by the first 60-70 pages and I at this early stage was thinking this is going to be a 5 star read.

As the story unfolded I became increasingly disappointed with the all the characters and the plot. It just did not work for me. I found the characters were not realistic and they they lacked emotions, and I could not gel with any of them. By the end of the novel I really did not care what happened to Yvonne Carmichael.

The term "my love" was so overused in the story by Yvonne and it really got on my nerves by the final chapter.

I gave this book 2 stars, an ok read but not one for my favourites shelf. Having said that I would recommend it as a book club read because I think it really had some great discussion material and important topics for groups to discuss and debate.