Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Little Beauty

Little Beauty - Alison Jameson 3.5 Stars

Little Beauty by Alison Jameson tells the story of 38 year old Laura Quinn who having lost both her parents has come to a crossroads in her life. Laura's home on a remote island of the coast of Ireland has become like a gold fish bowl and they only thing that keeps her there are the visits to her lover Martin at the light house, but Martin has his own ideas on marriage and Laura makes her decision to find a better life on the mainland.

This is a very well written novel as the prose is fresh and compelling and the author blew me away with her exquisitely described landscapes, at times you could almost feel the spray of the sea in you face and the harshness of island life in the late 1970s. The remoteness of the island is so well written that you feel the isolation and the hardship of the people as they struggled to hold on to their way of living and yet have a purpose and life for their children. I found that Alison Jameson captures an image of the 70s in Ireland that was so real and well researched. I found myself writing down sayings and descriptions of home life that I had forgotten existed from my childhood and I loved how this book gave me back these memories and feelings. Its great to be reminded of simpler times, of flares and platforms and Black and white kitchen floor tiles, cuckoo clocks and good old Charlie perfume, I think we must have all smelt the same.
The story itself is well told and the characters are interesting and well fleshed out.

An easy and interesting read and look forward to this authors next book.