Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women

Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women - Geraldine Brooks Nine Parts Of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women is a wonderful informative read.

The author an Austrailian reporter who spend the late 1980s and early 90s in the Middle East as a reporter, and during her time there decided to get to know the women of Islam and spent a lot of time interviewing and getting to know these women of different social status and different ages to bring us a very interesting account of Islamic history, Islamic women and the traditions of today.

I love reading about different nationalities, religions and customs and have always been interested in learning how other cultures live.
I really enjoyed this book and feel that the author did an excellent job without coming across as judgemental or preachy. At times throughout this book I found myself exclaiming out loud and other times I found myself angry but I felt I got to know a part of the world that I knew very little about and I am glad to have had the opportunity to read this book.

I loved the closing few lines of the book which read as follows;

I lost the chador in which many of my memories were wrapped, yet they are with me always the women who trusted me across the chasm of faith and culture, when I think of them I think of faith and kindness, warmth and hospitality, I think of the things that united us rather than on those things that we disagreed. They wanted to live to see their children live. That at least we had in common, that at least is a place to start.

I listened to this as an audio book which was narrated by Geraldine Brooks herself and while it was adequately narrated I did find her voice a tiny bit annoying at times and not because of her accent but because of her tone.