Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Wonder

Wonder - R.J. Palacio 3.5 Stars

Wonder by R.J. Palacio is a well written and engaging novel and while its predominately a children’s book it certainly is getting read by lots of adults who find it moving and heart-warming.

Recommended to me by a friend who told me it was an emotional and yet uplifting novel and as a parent would have me reaching for the tissues.

The story is about a ten year old boy called August. This marvellous character is smart, funny and courageous. Auggie(known to his family and friends) has a facial abnormality, caused by a mutant gene, which has resulted in him having 27 operations.
Various viewpoints are explored as the book progresses, including Auggie himself, his sister Via and his friends Jack and Summer. We quickly learn the effects of Auggie's disfigurement on his life and the lives of everyone around him.

The opening line in the book very quickly engages the reader " I know I am not an ordinary ten year-old kid. I mean, sure, I do ordinary things. I eat ice-creams, I ride my bike and I play ball.
By the end of the first page he tells us " My name is August, by the way. I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you are thinking, it’s probably worse.

This is not a sad book (although I did shed a tear around page 60) but more an uplifting story and August will certainly stay with you after you finish this Novel.

I think this would make a great book for studying in schools as there so much that children would love about this story and a great moral message at the heart of the story.