Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Is This Tomorrow: A Novel

Is This Tomorrow: A Novel - Caroline Leavitt Is This Tomorrow by Caroline Leavitt is a captivating and beautiful written suspense novel and I really enjoyed every chapter of this book.

In 1956, Ava Lark rents a house with her twelve-year-old son, Lewis, in a desirable Boston suburb. Ava is beautiful, divorced, Jewish, and a working mom. She finds her neighbours stand offish and she settles into her neighbourhood the best way she can. Lewis yearns for his absent father and Ava struggles with Work and parenting. Lewis befriends the only other fatherless kids: Jimmy and Rose. One afternoon, Jimmy goes missing and the Ava and Lewis's life changes forever.

I loved the tone of this novel as it is a sad book and yet not depressing. The author really conveys the emotions of the characters. The loneliness of Ava the single mother is really well written. A woman who struggles to bring up her child alone and yet her own need for companionship and love which to everyone else seems to come across as a threat, something to be frowned upon and ashamed of. The characters are so realistic and believable and I wanted so much to befriend Ava and to have good things happen for her throughout the novel. This story has just the right amount of suspense in it and yet it is not over written and allows you to use your imagination. I enjoyed the pace of the novel and really feel the author got plot and characters just right.

A great suspenseful and emotional summer read and a lovely insight into 1950s America.