Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Orphan Train

Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is an interesting read and touches on a subject that I really wanted to learn more about.

Between 1854 and 1929, so-called orphan trains ran regularly from the cities of the East Coast to the farmlands of the Midwest, carrying thousands of abandoned children whose fates would be determined by pure luck. Would they be adopted by a kind and loving family, or would they face a childhood and adolescence of hard labour and servitude?

Vivian Daly an Irish immigrant is one of the orphans at the tender age of 9 who leaves on a train from New York to the Midwest and we learn as the story progresses how Vivian ended up on the orphan train and the twists and turns of her life story.

Fast forward to 2011 and seventeen-year-old Molly Ayer knows that a community-service position helping an elderly widow clean out her attic is the only thing keeping her out of juvenile hall. But as Molly helps Vivian sort through her keepsakes and possessions, she discovers that she and Vivian aren't as different as they appear.

I wanted to love this book as the subject was so interesting to me and I was instantly intrigued by the story of the Orphan Trains and really wanted to learn more. I bought this book in audio format and I was so disappointed by the narrator of the audio that I had to change to kindle format about 60 pages into the story. When the narrator was reading in the voice of Niamh her Irish accent was really terrible and just grated on my nerves.

I found the story and characters a little too contrived and there were parts of the novel that really did not work for me as it was quite predictable. I know friends of mine have loved this book but I think I wanted more facts than fiction and this is why I liked it but didn't love it.

A worthwhile 3 star read for me.