Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Dinner

The Dinner - Herman Koch, Sam Garrett The Dinner by Herman is certainly a quirky and entertaining read and if you like dark, quirky and different then this one may be for you. I really enjoyed this novel, it certainly packs a punch.

Take two families, a dinner setting and a couple dangerously delinquent sons and a very disturbing act of criminality that has shocked the nation and you have yourself the plot of a very well written novel.

A word of warning! Not every reader is going to love this one...............so if you dislike stories with dislikeable characters and unreliable narrators and dark happenings, stay clear. On the other hand if you like dark novels like Gone Girl and Defending Jacob and we need to talk about Kevin I think you will enjoy this book.

There are some great lines in this book;

You say something so razor-sharp that the person you say it to carries it around with them for the rest of their life.

When the conversation turns too quickly to films, I see it as a sign of weakness, I mean films are more something for the end of the evening, when you dont have much else to talk about.

I loved the premise of this novel, how far parents will go to protect a child and it really is a book that gets you thinking, What IF...
This is a book that asks difficult questions and the plot is slow but shocking, I especially loved the build-up to the revelations and the way in which the story was narrated by Paul. This Novel would make an excellent book club read, as the characters and revelations make for excellent discussion. I could imagine a book club getting great mileage out of this one.

A great read and a very thought provoking novel.