Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

East of Eden

East of Eden - John Steinbeck . Book club re-read. Even better second time around.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck is a wonderful read.

I believe that Steinbeck wrote this book for his sons Thorn and John who were just small boys when it was written. Steinbeck hoped that as they grew up the novel would show them their roots in California’s Salinas Valley and guide them through their lives . What a wonderful book with just about all the elements a good story needs, we have father son relationships, and sibling rivalry, murder, greed, sex, love and lust and throughout all this we find a values of life in the real world and the struggle between right and wrong.

Why have I not read this novel years ago? For some reason I have been ignoring it on my book shelf and am so glad I finally took the time to read and enjoy this novel. It took me longer to read this novel than normal but that was my choice as I wanted to take my time to savour and enjoy it.

I loved the characters and the depth which Steinbeck forms his characters, I love the description of people and places and the warmth of his writing. This is a sweeping, dramatically told story which captures images of the land and its people but mostly you get a story of good and evil of which people are capable, I especially loved the character of Samuel and what he and his family stood for.

Excellent book club read and I think this book has great discussion topics.

This is my 4th Steinbeck novel and so far my favourite.