Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Calling Me Home

Calling Me Home - Julie Kibler 3.5 Stars

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler is a beautiful debut Novel telling the story of a forbidden love in 1930s Kentucky with a modern-day friendship.

Eighty nine year old Isabelle McAllister has a favour to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis. It's a big one. Isabelle wants Dorrie, a black single mom in her thirties, to drop everything to drive her from her home in Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. With no clear explanation why and they must leave the following day. Dorrie is plagued with problems of her own but not wanting to let her friend down she agrees to drive Isabelle to the Funeral.

There is so much to love about this book and to be honest once again I was drawn in by the cover and the blurb of this Novel
This is one of those books that you pick up and you seem to settle into the story within a few chapters. Julie Kibler has painted two wonderful characters that are very well thought out and by the end of the story you feel you know these two women. I especially loved and envied the friendship between Miss Isabelle and Dorrie as easy friendships like these are hard to come by. I loved how these two strong woman came together and gave each other support and without any pressure or any expectations of each other.

Julie Kibler also tackles the difficult issue of racial equality and I believe that this novel was inspired by a relationship her grandmother had.
Calling Me Home is a book that is going to appeal to so many people and this is certainly more than a story about racial equality, it is a story about hope love and friendships that come along once in a lifetime.

This is a well written historical fiction novel and I certainly will be recommending this book to many of my friends as it had wonderful reader appeal.

Definitely worth cosying up on the couch for this one.