Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Instructions for a Heatwave

Instructions for a Heatwave - Maggie O'Farrell 3.5 stars

Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O Farrell is a very enjoyable and entertaining novel and I was really excited to read this book having loved [b:The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox|250729|The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox|Maggie O'Farrell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348843114s/250729.jpg|3050927].

The story is set in London in July 1976. It hasn't rained for months, gardens are filled with aphids, water comes from a standpipe, and Robert Riordan tells his wife Gretta that he's going round the corner to buy a newspaper. He doesn't come back. The search for Robert brings Gretta's children - two estranged sisters and a brother on the brink of divorce - back home, each with different ideas as to where their father might have gone. None of them suspects that their mother might have an explanation that even now she cannot share.

Maggie O Farrell’s writing is as usual excellent and from page one you get drawn into the Riordan family drama with its twists and turns and its realistic characters. I love the easy way the author draws her characters and she sets the scenes with such ease that you feel you are right there in the story.

While I enjoyed the novel I felt the story dragged and while there were twists and turns and surprises they failed to make an impact on the story and just seemed to hang. The mystery of the missing father seemed to take a back seat within the story and I felt it was never really explained. I did enjoy the novel but did not live up to the wonderful [b: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox|250729|The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox|Maggie O'Farrell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348843114s/250729.jpg|3050927].