Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Spinning Heart

The Spinning Heart - Donal Ryan The spinning Heart by Donal Ryan.

The Spinning Heart is a collection of chapters with a different character narrating each one. The story is set in a small Irish Town post Celtic Tiger. The main protagonist of the novel is Bobby Mahon and Bobby is connected in some way with all of the other characters in the Novel.

The opening paragaph of this book reads as follows;

"My father still lives back the road past the weir in the cottage I was reared in . I go there every day to see is he dead and every day he lets me down. He hasn't yet missed a day of letting me down"

There is some really laugh out loud moments in this book and there are sad moments too. I found the characters are so well drawn in the short chapters that you are able to conjure them in your head all these characters have faces and voices. I know these characters from life experiences and I think we all know characters like these.

I enjoyed this read the only thing I found disappointing with the novel was that there was too many characters to keep track off and I was left wanting more from characters like Bobby and Triona.

NOTE: Having read this for a second time have to admit the excessive use of bad landuage really is too much and grated on my nerves second time around.