Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Little Wolves

Little Wolves - Thomas Maltman
4.5 Stars

Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman is a haunting, dark tale and a powerful murder mystery. I don’t normally read murder mystery novels but when I do they have to have that little bit extra to keep me interested and the fantasia of myth and folklore had me from page one.

Lately I have been doing most of my reading on Kindle and am really enjoying the experience. But Little Wolves was a hardback book that I bought and boy the experience of holding and reading a novel like this really enhanced the whole reading experience. I really love a hardback and when I see a good book recommendation, I love to treat myself to a copy for my bookshelf.

The author, Thomas Maltman, begins his story with a dark myth about a half-starved wolf that finds and then suckles a human baby abandoned on the prairie.
The story is Set on the Minnesota prairie in the late 1980s during a drought season that's pushing family farms to the brink, Little Wolves features the intertwining stories of a father searching for answers after his son commits a heinous murder, and a pastor's wife (and washed-out scholar of early Anglo-Saxon literature) who has returned to the town for mysterious reasons of her own.

The writing is so haunting and imaginative and I found myself transported to the Minnesota Prairie with the beautiful and sometime scary descriptions.
The characters are extremely well developed and all are complicated and most not very likable. The plot has so many twists and turns that the reader is constantly on the edge of the couch.

I loved this haunting and magical story but I know that this book is not for everybody as some readers will find it dark and strange. But for me truly a memorable read and a captivating story.