Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne - Brian Moore Bookclub Re-Read
I really really enjoyed this extraordinary novel and found this modern classic fiction writing at its best.

This Novel was one of the recommendations from Good Reads and I have to be honest I had never heard of Brian Moore until I purchased this book. First published in 1955 this novel is a real classic and I can see why Mr Moore was shortlisted for the Booker Pricze three times.

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne is an unflinching and deeply sympathetic portrait of a woman destroyed by self and circumstance. Judith Hearne is an unmarried woman of a certain age who has come down in society. She has few skills and is full of the prejudices and pieties of her genteel Belfast upbringing. But Judith has a secret life. And she is just one heartbreak away from revealing it to the world.

I was blown away by the writing in this novel as it is so rich in imagery and detail and the pacing is perfect. This is quite a small novel but Mr Moore makes every word count and not only do you get a feel for the characters you really are a fly on the wall of the Bed Sit with Judith Hearne.

I found myself immersed in the characters and could not put this book down.

I believe this book has been made into a film starring Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)and Bob Hoskins and I really would love to see that.

I found this read a true 5 star experience, but it’s one of those books that may not be everyone’s cup of tea.