Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Still Alice

Still Alice - Lisa Genova Still Alice by Lisa Genova is a beautifully written, heartbreaking novel about the devastating affect Alzheimer's has on its victims and their families.

I wanted to read this novel for a long time and had nominated it at local book club but now after reading it I am glad it was never chosen as I really think this is a book you personally choose to read because of the difficult subject matter, and the fact that so many people have family members who suffer from Alzheimer's may find this a very difficult read. I certainly found it an insightful novel but very sad and I did cry while reading it.

This Novel is well written and the plot well thought out especially in the author's choice of Alice a young, healthy and accomplished Psychiatry Professor at Harvard - which shows that Alzheimer's can strike those other than the elderly.,

The book is written from Alice's viewpoint which in itself is a remarkable read but it also conveys the struggle that Alice’s family must learn to understand and live with as well.

Genova really does an excellent job of describing the devastating changes that takes place in Alice’s mind as the disease progresses. I have to admit I found this difficult reading as you know this is not a book where there can be a happy ending.

This is very well written book but a very difficult read.