Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Blue Asylum

Blue Asylum - Kathy Hepinstall Blue Asylum a novel by Katy Hempinstall.

The premise of this book is what drew me to it and when I received my hard back copy in the post I was stunned by this beautiful book which the cover and artwork really caught my imagination and this is the reason I still love to read a physical book.

The story is set amid the mayhem of the civil war and plantation wife Iris Dunleavy is put on trial and convicted of madness. She is sent away to Sanibel Asylum to be restored to health. Iris knows that she is no lunatic and her only crime is disagreeing with her husband's notions of justice.

Blue Asylum is a beautiful, absorbing and passionate story and deals with the fine lines between sanity and insanity. The story is told in flashbacks between present actions and this works very well in this novel and leaves it with a quite suspenseful air.

The writing is lyrical and the characters are real and very well portrayed. I loved the spirited character of Iris Dunleavy and the way in which the author drew a picture of this lady was amazing. The images in the book really do come to life as you read it especially the island.

I really enjoyed this novel and found myself thinking and caring about the characters. I am giving it 4.5 stars because I really enjoyed it.
Readers who enjoyed the Kitchen House or the Homecoming of Samuel lake I think will enjoy this Novel.

I now have to read all of Kathy Hepinstall's novels.