Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Rush Home Road

Rush Home Road - Lori Lansens I really enjoyed this plot driven novel by Canadian writer Lori Lansens.

When I started reading this Novel I found that by the end of second chapter I was totally drawn into the story and was captivated by the characters and the premise of the story.

The novel is set in the 1920s and 1970s in a trailer park in a small town in Canada and tells the story of 70 year old Addy Shadd.
A fellow neighbour Collette drops her 5 year old Sharla off with Addy and disappears. Addy reluctantly steps in as guardian to care for the child. The two form a tight bond and Sharla experiences unconditional love for the first time in her short life. At the same time, the young girl triggers Addy's childhood memories. These memories are full of hardships and trials. Memories of Addy's childhood days in Rusholme, a Canadian border town settled by runaway slaves in the 1800s come rushing back and carry the reader away. Addy recalls intimate details of her family, past lovers and the many people who loved and betrayed her.

I really enjoyed the characters in this novel and fell totally in love with Addy. I felt the author did a fantastic job of making clear and precise transitions between the past and present and I never found myself getting lost in this fast paced novel. I think Lori Larsens does an excellent job of telling this tale and I love the sense of time and place that she creates.

I found this book a really interesting and an easy read and would recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Novels such as The Kitchen House or The Help. I also recommend it to anyone who enjoys heartbreaking and yet a heartwarming tale.