Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Moment

The Moment - Douglas Kennedy The Moment by Douglas Kennedy is primarily a Love story with a little historical content thrown in.

This is the story of Thomas Nesbitt who is a divorced American writer living in Maine. He lives a quiet life until one day a package arrives from Berlin and his past is brought back to haunt him.
The package is from Petra Dussmann a woman he had an intense love affair with over twenty five years ago in a divided Berlin under the shadows of the Cold War.
Petra Dussman was a refugee from the police state of East Germany and her tragic secret rewrites both their lives.

When I read the blurb of this novel I was really interested as it had all the elements of a great story. I love to read about this period in history and this seemed to be the sort of book I would love. I did enjoy most of the story however I found the love story too contrived and at times a little over written and not believable, I really enjoyed the historical content of the book but would have loved a lot more of the facts and less of the repetitive love story.

I liked the characters and think they were well developed but I think the book could have done with better editing as the story was way too long, the 640 pages could have been condensed to 400 and none of the story would have been lost.