Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Gods of Gotham (Timothy Wilde Mysteries #1)

The Gods of Gotham (Timothy Wilde Mysteries #1) - Lyndsay Faye The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye is an interesting read.

"After a fire disseminates a swathe of lower Manhattan, and following years of passionate political dispute, New York City at long last forms an official Police Department. The same summer the great potato famine hits Ireland. These events will change the city of New York forever.

Lyndsay Faye does an amazing job of bringing to life the sense of time and place of 1845 New York City. You certainly get a feel for this city and its people.
She has also clearly undertaken meticulous historical research and creates a convincing insight into New York's criminal underworld for the time.

I am afraid I did not gel with any of the characters in this novel, and while I thought the book started off strong and quite a page turner, I found it dragged quite a lot towards the middle and found myself plodding towards the end.

I am not a big fan of mysteries but I did enjoy the historically elements of this novel.

A well written novel and will look forward to more books from this author.