Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Winter Sea

The Winter Sea - Susanna Kearsley The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley really seemed like a book I would love as it dealt with a part of Scottish history that I was not familiar with. I had not read a book set in Scotland before and was eager to get started on this novel after reading the fascinating blurb.

"In the spring of 1708 an invading Jacobite fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown. Now Carrie Mc Clelland hopes to turn the stroy into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shawow of Slains Castle she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors and starts to write. But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory making her the only living person who knows the truth. The ultimate betrayal that happened all those years ago and that knowledge comes very close to destroying her"

The setting and mood of this novel is wonderful and I would have to congratulate the author on creating such wonderful settlings and giving the reader such vivid descriptions of characters and scenery, I for one was in the settling of all these scenes and had clear images of Slains Castle in my head and really enjoyed this aspect of the novel so much.
This is a really well researched novel about the Jacobite Rebellion. I found myself having to reread paragraphs to get people and happenings straight in my head as sometimes I found it a little difficult to follow.

While I really enjoyed the historical side of this novel and enjoyed reading about the Jacobite invasion I did find the social history of the time very lacking and I would loved to have learned more about spirit, manners, and social conditions of 1708 but felt that was very much left out of this novel and I found this disappointing.

The ending of the book for me was terrible. I really found it too much and not at all be believable or in keeping with the story that went before and it actually left me feeling a little cheated.