Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Corrections

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen was a bookclub read and one of those books that when you pick it up you groan and say I am not going to like this one. Well!! never judge a book by its cover (and its not a very appealing cover) its Blurb ( is pretty depressing) or the first 50 pages (had me scratching my head thinking what is this book about) but if you can get past all that this is quite and interesting and well written Novel.

"The Lamberts - Enid and Alred and their three grown up children are a Troubled( with a Capital T) family living in a troubled age. Alfred is slowly losing his mind to parkinson's disease. As his condition worsens and the Lamberts are forced to face the secrets and failures that haunt them. Enid sets her heart on gathering her family together for one last christmas.

While the characters in this novel are by no means likable they are interesting well developed.

The prose is a little over the top by times and you get the feeling the author is showing off his litercy skills but having said that there are some very well written and moving moments in the book.
One sentence that really stood out for me was;

"When had it happened that his parents had become the children who went to bed early and called down for help from the top of the stairs, when had this happened?.

I did however find this book way too long and think it really could have said all it needed to say in about 450 pages. I found it a little strange that the Lambert family had no happy moments in any of their lives.

While I did enjoy the read and not sure I would recommend it as it really is a book that some will love and others will hate. Would have rated it 3.5 stars if I could.