Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Journey into the Whirlwind

Journey into the Whirlwind - Evgenia Ginzburg, Paul Stevenson, Max Hayward Journey into the whirlwind recounts the story of active member of the communist Party for many years, Eugenia Semonovna Ginzburg, who was arrested like many of her fellow citizens during Stalin's reign of terror on trumped up charges of being a Trotskyist terrorist counter-revolutionary and sentenced to prison. This book recounts her many years spent in prison and labour camps.

This is a insightful story and sometimes while reading this book you may sometimes think " This has to be exaggerated somewhat as it could not possibly have happened to this extent" but the sad fact is, it did happen to millions of people and these are the sort of books that reminds us that;

“Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself; it only requires opportunity.”
George Eliot

This book give a good insight into the prison system of the time and to arrests of ordinary people during Stalin's reign of terror.

A difficult book to rate, I did find it lacked the emotion I had expected from a memoir of this nature and I found the story ended rather abruptly.