Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Story of Beautiful Girl

The Story of Beautiful Girl - Rachel Simon The Story of Beautiful Girl was a book I had been looking forward to for quite awhile. The story takes place in 1968 a time when people with disabilities were shut away in institutions forgotten by their families and the world.
On a stormy night in a small town in America a couple desperate and soaked to the skin knock on a strangers door. When Martha a retired schoolteacher answers their knock her world changes forever.
The couple at the door are Lynnie and Homan who have ran away from the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded with a newborn baby. But the police are chasing the couple and terrified for the baby and moments before they are captured Lynnie manages to utter two words to Martha, “ Hide her” and so begins the story of Lynnie Homan.

I know that this novel has got a lot of great reviews but for me it was just and ok read. Firstly I did not find the Novel believable and this really dictates the worth of the novel for me.
I had to question Lynnie’s ability to hide her pregnancy in the institution and the fact that she just gave birth under these circumstances just did not work for me..
Secondly I found it difficult to believe that Martha’s students from years back were willing to help her without worrying about the consequences.
The story seemed so contrived and just too fluffy for me. I thought what this story lacked was character depth and especially with Martha as I never got to know Martha or connected with her as a character.
Having read and loved The Secret Scriptureby Sebastian BarryI just could not give this Novel any more than 2 stars as emotionally this book did noting for me.