Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

Pictures of the Past

Pictures of the Past - Deby Eisenberg I really enjoyed this novel and I think it is a novel that will mean so many things to so many people.

This is a love story sweeping through Chicago, Paris and Berlin reliving events from pre-World War Two but beginning in 2004 when an elderly lady by the name of Gerta challenges the ownership of an impressionist painting hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago and donated by the Woodmere Family. She insists that this painting belonged to her Jewish neighbours, the Berger family in Berlin before the war. Gerta protests that this painting was stolen by the Nazis, and she will go to the Museum Director and make sure they look up the provenance of this painting. The story takes us back to 1937 and the start of a tale of love and passion and heartache.

I love historical Novels and would consider [b:Pictures of the Past|12456410|Pictures of the Past|Deby Eisenberg|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UU3hzQoNL._SL75_.jpg|17439910] primary a love story but with enough historical content to keep me interested. I especially was interested in the historical voyage of the St. Louis and think the author did a wonderful job of including it in this stoy, I love when a book sends me to the computer and makes me google something I have read.
The characters are beautifully drawn and the descriptions of places and events created wonderful images in my head. I loved the plot and think this book will make a great film.

This is a real page turner and a very easy pleasant read. I would compare this book to Sarah's Key. This book is one that many of my friends will love.