Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh The Language of flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - I was really looking forward to reading this book as it came highly recommended from a friend and it has got great reviews here on goodreads.

After a childhood spent in the foster care system, Victoria is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen, Victoria has nowhere to go, and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. When her talent is discovered by a local florist, she discovers her gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But it takes meeting a mysterious vendor at the flower market for her to realise what's been missing in her own life, and as she starts to fall for him, she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, and decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.

I found the overall idea of communicating through Flowers really interesting and I enjoyed learning what each flower meant but apart from that I found the characters flat and uninteresting and I found the story farfetched and lost interest in the novel very early on. On finishing the novel I found the directory of the meaning of flowers at the end of the book which for me really was the best part of the book.