Dem

A Boy in Winter
Rachel Seiffert
The Tie That Binds
Kent Haruf
The Idiot (Everyman's Library, #254)
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear
The Velvet Hours
Alyson Richman

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss - Edmund de Waal The hare with Amber Eyes is biography and is a wonderful story of 264 Japanese wood and ivory carvings and the unlocking of a story that spans from Paris to Vienna and to Japan as the journey of the netsuke unfolds and that of The prominent and wealthy Jewish Ephrussi Family . I loved the slow build up to the story and the research that went into creating this book. I found the Vienna Ephrussi Family facinating and the story of how the netsuke survived throuhgout the second world war. I loved the description of the homes in both Paris and Vienna and felt that Edmund brought these two cities alive in his descriptions. I did find the pictures of the netsuke very disappointing and the quality of pictures very bad and would have appreciated better photographs of the art and the houses as think this would really have been a great way to show of his collection and give the reader a chance to share in these 264 precious carvings. A great book and a real page turner.